Water, water everywhere. With 71% of the earth being covered in water, and around 60% of the human body being water, there is no doubt that water is one of the most important elements of health – health of the body and health of our environment.
But what about the health of mummies? No one is more prone to severe dehydration that a mummified person or animal. In fact, a lack of water is necessary for the mummification process.
So what is a health seeking mummy to do? Let’s look at general guidelines for water consumption in humans, and see if our mummy brethren can benefit from this information.
Benefits of Water
Every system in our body uses water. Without water many essential processes slow down or do not function optimally. Some of the most important functions of water in the body:
- carrying nutrients to your cells
- allowing your cells to remove debris
- flushing bacteria out of the bladder
- supporting digestion
- regulating bowel movements
- supporting blood pressure
- protecting joints
- regulating body temperature
- maintaining salt balance in the body
Signs of Dehydration
Dehydration can occur quickly, especially on hot days, or slowly with compounded effects day after day. If you have any of the following signs of dehydration, you should increase your water intake and talk to your doctor.
- low blood pressure
- dark coloured urine
- dry skin
- bandage wrapped skin and a birth date more than 100 years ago
How Much Water to Drink?
There is no hard rule for how much water to drink, but there are some general guidelines which can be helpful in keeping you hydrated.
- Two to three cups (250ml) per hour – This will keep you hydrated all day long
- 8×8 rule – eight 8oz glasses per day. – Simple, easy to remember, but not based on any hard science, the 8×8 rule is likely to work for most people
- 5-1.0 ounces per pound of body weight – A nice guideline that can be easily individualized based on your weight. Aim for the higher amount during hotter or drier weather.
For mummies, the recommended amount of water is likely to be much higher due to a baseline of severe dehydration. I recommend tripling the above recommendations to meet a mummy’s water needs.
Human, or mummy, water is essential to our quality of life. So pick a guideline above and challenge yourself to drink your way to optimal health.
The advice provided in this article is for informational purposes by the supernatural community. It is meant to augment and not replace consultation with a licensed monster doctor. Consultation with a Naturopathic Doctor, Dr. Frankenstein, or other primary care provider is recommended for any supernatural being suffering from a health problem.