No one will dispute the fact that the teen years can be a challenging time. School work, part-time jobs, sports, friends, chores, preparing for college – all of these things and many others make the teen years a very busy and demanding time. So how do teens cope when a health concern adds additional strain to an already overwhelming time?
Teenagers don’t have it easy when it comes to health! For some people it is a time of peak health – lots of energy, physical fitness, and few concerns or worries. But the majority of teens are coping with at least one health problem.
The teen years are a transition from childhood to adulthood and during this time teenagers can have health problems that normally affect either children or adults. The teen years are also a time when many chronic illnesses first are diagnosed.
Some conditions that teenagers may be dealing with:
- Acne, eczema, psoriasis and other skin conditions
- Addiction – alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, other legal and illegal drugs
- Attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder
- Digestive complaints – stomach pain, ulcers, nausea, constipation, diarrhea
- Fatigue and low energy
- Headaches and migraines
- Hormonal imbalances
- Hypothyroid and hyperthyroid
- Insomnia and sleep disorders
- Menstrual cycle disorders – PMS, heavy periods, irregular periods, endometriosis
- Nutrient deficiency – from poor diet, vegan, vegetarian diets and dieting
- Pain and injury – including sprains, strains and fractures
- Personal growth and development – mental, emotional and spiritual change and maturity
- Pregnancy and birth control use
- Weight management issues
Naturopathic Medicine for Teenagers
Naturopathic Medicine is an ideal treatment option for teenagers. With a focus on prevention and individualized treatments Naturopathic Doctors are able to listen to and understand the unique experiences and symptoms for each teen and tailor a treatment plan to their needs.
I first discovered Naturopathic Medicine when I was sixteen and had undiagnosed nausea daily for several months. After a consultation with a Naturopathic Doctor I discovered the link between my stress levels and my digestive symptoms. With a few nutritional supplements and some stress management techniques my symptoms were cured within a few short weeks. My personal experience encouraged me to become a Naturopathic Doctor and to help other teenagers find an alternative to suffering with their health problems.
Being a Naturopathic Doctor enables me to help other teenagers heal through the gentle and natural therapies I use in my practice. I place an emphasis on finding the root cause of the problem and correcting it with:
- nutritional and dietary counselling
- nutritional supplements
- botanical (herbal) medicines
- stress management
- lifestyle counselling
If you are a teenager, or know a teenager, that could benefit from Naturopathic Medicine consider booking a free 15 minute consult to meet with me and discuss how we can work together to make your teen years healthy, naturally.