Oatmeal cookies have got to be Mother Nature’s perfect snack. Now I’m sure Mother Nature probably didn’t create cookies – but I bet someone’s Mom did! And these cookies are full of Nature’s bounty… whole grain oats, cranberries, walnuts, bananas and cinnamon.
These cookies are a nutrition powerhouse!
- Oats – a rich source of fiber, oats help you feel full longer, stabilize blood sugar, and are a great source of selenium – an antioxidant important in promoting heart health
- Cranberries – full of health promoting antioxidants, a diet rich in cranberries can promote lifelong heart health
- Walnuts – a source of a unique form of vitamin E (gamma tocopherol), walnuts provide significant protection against heart disease. Walnuts also contain unique anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds that decrease the risk of prostate and breast cancer when consumed regularly.
- Bananas – an excellent source of potassium, bananas can protect us against the development of high blood pressure. Bananas are also high in fiber, can help your body absorb calcium, and the brown spots on bananas also contain tumour necrosis factor (TNF) a powerful immune booster.
- Cinnamon – a powerful anti-inflammatory, cinnamon also prevents blood clots, helps balance intestinal bacteria, stabilizes blood sugar and can lower cholesterol.
Not only are these cookies healthy and delicious but they are gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free and egg-free! Amazing as an after school snack, or a quick breakfast to grab and go.
Quite Possibly the Healthiest Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
1-1/2 cups mashed very ripe banana (about 3 medium)
1-1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
2. In a medium bowl, combine the banana, oil, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda until well-blended.
3. Add banana mixture to oat mixture, stirring to combine. Let stand 15 minutes.
4. Bake 14 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden-brown. Let cool on sheets 1 minutes Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days (or freeze in airtight bags/containers)
Warm thanks to Enlightened Cooking for sharing this amazing recipe! You can find the original (with lots of yummy photos) here: Sugar free, gluten free, egg free oatmeal cookies with cinnamon, walnuts and cranberries
The advice provided in this article is for informational purposes only. It is meant to augment and not replace consultation with a licensed health care provider. Consultation with a Naturopathic Doctor or other primary care provider is recommended for anyone suffering from a health problem.